Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Tribute

As an aspiring author of children's literature, I thought it would be fitting to pay tribute to one of the favorite books of my childhood.  The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by the author known simply as Avi (you can visit his website here).

Okay, I already have a confession: I only vaguely remember what the book is about. (Gasp...) I titled my blog after a book that I can't quite remember. Clearly I need to relive the greatness of this story! Thank goodness for Amazon Prime; it will be here in two day. I do want to point out however, that while the details of the story are not clear in my mind, I do remember pretty vividly the feelings I had after reading it.  I loved it.  I was inspired by it. I wanted to BE Charlotte.  I wanted to live a life of adventure and climb the rigging of an old sailing vessel.  I am actually quite excited to get it and read it again. I have a feeling that it will be like visiting with an old friend.  I will let you know how that conversation goes.

This is my goal.  To one day create a story so compelling that readers want to immerse themselves within its pages.  That the characters are so real, that when the book ends, they feel lost without them. That the descriptions are so vivid that 25 years later they remember the way it made them feel, even if they don't exactly remember why.

So today I pay tribute to Avi.  It has been said that imitation is the greatest form of flattery, so with the inaugural post to my new blog The True Confessions of M.J. Thompson I say thank you.  Thank you for the lasting impressions of adventure that have stuck with me for 25 years.  I one day hope to be able to write with just a fraction of the talent that you posses.


M.

2 comments:

  1. What a noble aspiration!!! I am looking forward to your stories, characters and adventures! Children are in desperate need of joyous and safe people, places and adventures to experience, even if vicariously!!! I know you can do this! I am one of your greatest cheerleaders!!! I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet you will love her stories! They are so cute and her children are her inspiration! And yes I am her biggest fan!!

    ReplyDelete